June 23-27, 2014
It was an intense week of learning again this year. Hopefully, we can offer this incredible class again in 2014.
Take a look at pictures!
3 Graduate Hours Credit (Aurora University) or 40 CPDUs
Living Water: Going with the Flow
Teachers, here's your chance to "dive" into water! Register for our educational (and delightful!) water workshop. We'll hop on the bus and go to Chicago's lake front to see the water intake "cribs", visit the Jardine Water Purification plant, the Chicago St., the DuPage Water Comission...to the tap! Then, we'll follow the water to the Woodridge Wastewater Treatment plant and onto the East Branch of the DuPage River. Then, we'll pull up our boots, step – gently – into the river, and learn about the quality of the waters of our own streams. We'll conduct water tests, and we'll identify benthic macroinvertebrates - those interesting bottom-dwelling mussels, crayfish, etc., that serve as indicators of water quality. We'll also visit wetlands, both natural and man-made, and learn how wetlands are capable of cleaning pollutants from wastewater - even brown water.
Jump into this class with both feet!
- Who: 2rd - 12th Grade Teachers
- What: Participants will literally"go with the flow" of water...rainwater and groundwater to stormwater and tapwater and , then wastewater, and, finally, river and ocean water. You will see firsthand how we "prepare" water for use and what happens to it when we are done. We'll also examine stormwater issues and innovative solutions for managing it.
- When: June 22-27 (for CPDUs), plus 1/2 day July 2nd for graduate credit, 2014
- Cost: $125 fee (includes 40 CPDUs, morning and afternoon snacks, and take-home classroom resources), plus optional $310 for 3 hours of graduate credit from Aurora University
- Where: Each day begins and ends at the SCARCE headquarters in Glen Ellyn.
- Why: Daily, we all use water. It is to our benefit and the benefit of our students to understand how we manage water, how we use/conserve it, and how we can keep our water clean and healthy.
When registration is open, fill out the green box on this page to register