Recycling Events and Extravaganzas
Sometimes it’s hard to figure out how to get rid of old stuff. Many communities host events to reuse or recycle those old items.
Here's how it works:
- Find out what is being collected at the next upcoming Recycling Extravaganza
-Pack up your car, and drive to the location - usually a big parking lot.
- As you drive thru the parking lot, volunteers help you unload your unwanted items at different stations.
- The items are donated to charity, if possible, or properly recycled, otherwise.
Ongoing and upcoming events are listed below or in the calendar to the right. Usually these events are in the spring and fall. Unless otherwise noted, all events should be open to the public.
For each event, be sure to check the list of items accepted -- each community decides what to collect. If books are collected, its usually a book exchange; bring books you don't want and you can take books that have been donated by others. Result: Reuse before Recycle!
Wheaton, Elmhurst and SCARCE hosted the first pumpkin recycling collections in DuPage County! All pumpkins were composted in Illinois!
- Did you know...Illinois is the number one producer (grower) of pumpkins in the entire country?
- Did you know...pumpkins contain amazing nutrients?
- Did you know...pumpkins are filled with water?
- Did you know...composting pumpkins returns nutrients and mass back to our soil?
Keep Cooking Fats, Oils, and Grease Out of Your Sink
Even if hot water is running and the grease is liquid when it goes down the drain, cooking oils and fats solidify as soon as they reach cold pipes. Cities and homeowners spend thousands of dollars on resulting sewer clogs. It's illegal to put liquids into the garbage, and used cooking oil can be recycled into bio-fuel! Instead of dumping it down the drain, put your cooking oil, no matter how small the amount, into a container, and store until there is a cooking oil recycling event. Learn more in this video from the Texas "Cease the Grease" program.
Permanent Collection Sites:
City of Wheaton
Public Works Yard (south side of 821 W Liberty)
2nd Saturday of each month from 9am - noon
Wheaton Sanitary District
1S640 Shaffner, Wheaton
Every Saturday, 10am - noon
Glenbard Wastewater Authority
21W551 Bemis Rd
Monday - Friday, 7:30am - 3pm
Winfield Township Vegetable Oil Collection (see attached flyers below)
Winfield Township Road District
30W575 Roosevelt Rd
Mondays (excluding holidays) 7am - 11am
Third Saturday of each month 7am - 11am
Naperville Household Hazardous Waste Facility
Fire Station No. 4, 1979 Brookdale Road
Saturdays & Sundays 9am - 2pm (excluding holidays)
Cooking Oil Collection
Saturday, November 29, 2014
Drop off cooking oil for recycling at one of these collection sites:
Elmhurst Public Works Garage, 9am-noon
985 S. Riverside Dr.
Itasca Village Hall, 9am-noon
550 W. Irving Park Rd.
LaGrange Park Fire Station #1, 9am-noon
447 N. Catherine Ave
Naperville Fire Station #4, 9am-2pm
1971 Brookdale Rd.
River Forest Village Hall, 9am-noon
400 Park Ave.
Roselle Police Station Parking Lot, 9am-noon
103 S. Prospect
Villa Park Behind Village Hall, 9am-noon
20 S. Ardmore
Wheaton Public Works Garage, 9am-noon
821 W. Liberty
Wheaton Sanitary District, 10am-noon
Winfield Township Road District, 7am-11am
30W575 Roosevelt Rd
New Collection Bin at Jewel Osco in Wicker Park, Chicago
1341 N. Paulina Street (corner of Ashland and Milwaukee)
Chicago Biofuels has begun a pilot program at Jewel Osco to collect liquid vegetable cooking oil. 100% of the oil collected will be turned into Biodiesel. Stop by the Wicker Park Jewel to check out their outdoor bin and drop off cooking oil.
November 30, 2013 (first cooking oil collection in DPC)
300 cars, 21 locations, 12,583 pounds of cooking oil collected!
Partnered with Green Grease and Chicago BioFuels
These are drive through recycling/reuse events. NO hazardous waste, paint, refrigerators, or smoke detectors. Air conditioners and dehumidifiers ONLY where specifically listed.
Recycle your Old Fridge or Freezer for FREE and Earn Money!
ComEd offers a $25 rebate for recycling your old working fridge or freezer. Make an appointment for ComEd to pick up your fridge or freezer for free and receive your rebate. Schedule today at Comed.com or call 888-806-2273.
This program is part of ComEd's Smart Ideas® energy efficiency programs. Since the program launched two years ago, they have helped residents save the amount of energy required to power about 75,000 homes for one year. The numbers have exceeded goals set by ComEd in June of 2008!
Willowbrook Wildlife Center is a rehabilitation and education center, owned and operated by the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County. They have a extensive list of items that are needed year round to care for native and passing migrant wildlife in DuPage County.
Next time you're hosting a party, ask guests to bring an item from the wish list in lieu of a hostess gift.
Check out what is needed on their Wish List.
The Holiday Lights colleciton is back on for the 2014-2015 season! Thank you to Elgin Recycling for working with us once again!
Lights accepted include: Italian mini-lights, traditional lights, extension cords, rope lights, LED lights. Lights can be in working or non working condition, from any holiday!
SCARCE collects holiday lights all year long!
- Addison Park District
- Park District Community Center
- Bartlett, November 1-April 1
- Village Hall, 228 S. Main St.
- Carol Stream, November 17-February 9
- Municipal Center, 500 S. Gary Ave.
- 280 Kuhn Rd.
- Clarendon Hills
- Police Department 448 Park Ave
- Darien, November 17-February 8
- Police Department Lobby, 1710 Plainfield Rd
- Downers Grove through January 31 - during business hours M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
- Village Hall, 801 Burlington Ave
- Public Works Facility 5101 Walnut Ave
- Elmhurst, November 17-January 26
- City Hall
- Public Works Garage, 985 S. Riverside Dr.
- York High School
- Emerson School
- Jackson School
- Hawthorne School
- Glen Ellyn Nov-January 31
- Ackerman Sports & Fitness Center, 800 St. Charles Rd
- Main Street Recreation Center, Main & Hill St
- Spring Avenue Recreation Center, 185 Spring Ave
- Glendale Heights, November 3-April 1
- Public Service Building, 1635 Glen Ellyn Rd.
- Hanover Park
- Public Works Garage, 2041 W. Lake St.
- Itasca, November 28-January 30
- Itasca Municipal Complex, 550 W. Irving Park Rd.
- Lisle, December 1-January 31
- Village Hall, 925 Burlington Ave.
- Lisle Park District, now-February 1
- Rec Center, 1925 Ohio St.
- Wheatstack Restaurant, 5900 S. Rt. 53
- Lombard, now through January 16
- Public Works, 1051 S. Hammerschmidt
- Naperville, November 24 - April 1 more info
- Public Works Recycling Drop Off Center, 180 Fort Hill Dr. (Wed. & Sat. 8am-4pm)
- Public Works Admin. Office, (Mon.-Frid., 7am - 4:30pm)
- Municipal Center Lunchroom, 400 S. Eagle St. (Mon.-Fri., 8am-5pm)
- Naperville Park District, November 17-February 13
- Knoch Knolls Nature Center (Hours: Mon.-Sat., 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Sun. 12:00 noon-5:00 p.m.)
- Alfred Rubin Riverwalk Community Center, 305 W. Jackson Avenue – Lower Level (Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. with additional evening and weekend hours for programs)
- Springbrook Golf Course, 2220 W. 83rd Street (Hours: Mon.-Sun., 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.). Please note that Springbrook Golf Course will be closed Dec. 24-Jan. 1.
- Naperville, St. Margaret Mary, November 22-January 16
- Oak Brook, November 20-January 9
- Public Library, 600 Oak Brook Rd.
- River Forest - December 15-January 15
- Village Hall, 400 Park Ave.
- Roselle, October 21-February 28
- Public Works Building, 474 Congress Circle North Drive
- SCARCE, ongoing
- SCARCE offices, 799 Roosevelt Rd., Building 2 (9am-4:30pm)
- Warrenville, November 17-February 1
- Public Library, 28W751 Stafford Pl.
- West Chicago, November 24-January 23
- Public Works, 135 West Grandlake
- Muprhy's Ace Hardware
- West Chicago Methodist Church
- Public Library
- Police Station
- Water Treatment Facility
- Wheaton, November 24-February 9
- Wheaton, First Presbyterian Church, November 25-February 28
- Wheaton Park District, November 16-Feburary 28
- Woodridge, November 24, March 13
- Village Hall, 5 Plaza Dr.
- Public Works Building, 1 Plaza Dr.