Recycling Events and Extravaganzas
Sometimes it’s hard to figure out how to get rid of old stuff. Many communities host events to reuse or recycle those old items.
Here's how it works:
- Find out what is being collected at the next upcoming Recycling Extravaganza
-Pack up your car, and drive to the location - usually a big parking lot.
- As you drive thru the parking lot, volunteers help you unload your unwanted items at different stations.
- The items are donated to charity, if possible, or properly recycled, otherwise.
Ongoing and upcoming events are listed below or in the calendar to the right. Usually these events are in the spring and fall. Unless otherwise noted, all events should be open to the public.
For each event, be sure to check the list of items accepted -- each community decides what to collect. If books are collected, its usually a book exchange; bring books you don't want and you can take books that have been donated by others. Result: Reuse before Recycle!
Wheaton, Elmhurst and SCARCE hosted the first pumpkin recycling collections in DuPage County! All pumpkins were composted in Illinois!
- Did you know...Illinois is the number one producer (grower) of pumpkins in the entire country?
- Did you know...pumpkins contain amazing nutrients?
- Did you know...pumpkins are filled with water?
- Did you know...composting pumpkins returns nutrients and mass back to our soil?
Cooking Oil Collection
Saturday, November 29, 9am-noon
Drop off cooking oil for recycling at one of these collection sites:
Elmhurst Public Works Garage
985 S. Riverside Dr.
Itasca Village Hall
550 W. Irving Park Rd.
LaGrange Park Fire Station #1
447 N. Catherine Ave
River Forest Village Hall
400 Park Ave.
Roselle Police Station Parking Lot
103 S. Prospect
Villa Park Behind Village Hall
20 S. Ardmore
Wheaton Public Works Garage
821 W. Liberty
Wheaton Sanitary District
Winfield Township Road District
30W575 Roosevelt Rd
If you can't make one of these special collections, there are 6 ongoing collection locations. Click on "read more" for permanent locations.
These are drive through recycling/reuse events. NO hazardous waste, paint, refrigerators, or smoke detectors. Air conditioners and dehumidifiers ONLY where specifically listed.
Recycle your Old Fridge or Freezer for FREE and Earn Money!
ComEd offers a $25 rebate for recycling your old working fridge or freezer. Make an appointment for ComEd to pick up your fridge or freezer for free and receive your rebate. Schedule today at Comed.com or call 888-806-2273.
This program is part of ComEd's Smart Ideas® energy efficiency programs. Since the program launched two years ago, they have helped residents save the amount of energy required to power about 75,000 homes for one year. The numbers have exceeded goals set by ComEd in June of 2008!
Willowbrook Wildlife Center is a rehabilitation and education center, owned and operated by the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County. They have a extensive list of items that are needed year round to care for native and passing migrant wildlife in DuPage County.
Next time you're hosting a party, ask guests to bring an item from the wish list in lieu of a hostess gift.
Check out what is needed on their Wish List.
The Holiday Lights colleciton is back on for the 2014-2015 season! Thank you to Elgin Recycling for working with us once again!
Lights accepted include: Italian mini-lights, traditional lights, extension cords, rope lights, LED lights. Lights can be in working or non working condition, from any holiday!
SCARCE collects holiday lights all year long!
- Park District Community Center
- Bartlett, November 1-April 1
- Village Hall, 228 S. Main St.
- Carol Stream, November 17-February 9
- Municipal Center, 500 S. Gary Ave.
- 280 Kuhn Rd.
- Darien, November 17-February 8
- Police Department Lobby, 1710 Plainfield Rd.
- Elmhurst, November 17-January 26
- City Hall
- Public Works Garage, 985 S. Riverside Dr.
- York High School
- Emerson School
- Jackson School
- Hawthorne School
- Glen Ellyn
- Glendale Heights, November 3-April 1
- Public Service Building, 1635 Glen Ellyn Rd.
- Hanover Park
- Public Works Garage, 2041 W. Lake St.
- Itasca, November 28-January 31
- Public Works Garage, 415 N. Prospect
- Lisle, December 1-January 31
- Village Hall, 925 Burlington Ave.
- Lisle Park District, now-February 1
- Rec Center, 1925 Ohio St.
- Wheatstack Restaurant, 5900 S. Rt. 53
- Naperville, November 24 - April 1 more info
- Public Works Recycling Drop Off Center, 180 Fort Hill Dr. (Wed. & Sat. 8am-4pm)
- Public Works Admin. Office, (Mon.-Frid., 7am - 4:30pm)
- Municipal Center Lunchroom, 400 S. Eagle St. (Mon.-Fri., 8am-5pm)
- Naperville Park District, November 17-February 13
- Knoch Knolls Nature Center (Hours: Mon.-Sat., 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Sun. 12:00 noon-5:00 p.m.)
- Alfred Rubin Riverwalk Community Center, 305 W. Jackson Avenue – Lower Level (Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. with additional evening and weekend hours for programs)
- Springbrook Golf Course, 2220 W. 83rd Street (Hours: Mon.-Sun., 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.). Please note that Springbrook Golf Course will be closed Dec. 24-Jan. 1.
- Naperville, St. Margaret Mary, November 22-January 16
- Oak Brook, November 20-January 9
- Public Library, 600 Oak Brook Rd.
- River Forest - December 15-January 15
- Village Hall, 400 Park Ave.
- Roselle, October 21-February 28
- Public Works Building, 474 Congress Circle North Drive
- SCARCE, ongoing
- SCARCE offices, 799 Roosevelt Rd., Building 2 (9am-4:30pm)
- Warrenville, November 17-February 1
- Public Library, 28W751 Stafford Pl.
- West Chicago, November 24-January 23
- Public Works, 135 West Grandlake
- Muprhy's Ace Hardware
- West Chicago Methodist Church
- Public Library
- Police Station
- Water Treatment Facility
- Wheaton, November 24-February 9
- Wheaton, First Presbyterian Church, November 25-February 28
- Wheaton Park District, November 16-Feburary 28
- Woodridge, November 24, March 13
- Village Hall, 5 Plaza Dr.
- Public Works Building, 1 Plaza Dr.