SCARCE inspires people to care for the earth. SCARCE cares for the earth .... It preserves and protects the earth's natural resources by creating programs like Book Rescue, Tools for Schools and Super Crayons to keep unwanted items out of the landfill, and allow those in need to re-use them.
- The books are for teachers and classroom use only. Reselling the books is strictly prohibited. All teachers must show a Teacher ID to get books or school supplies.
- SCARCE appreciates the return of these books if no longer needed, and the donation of any other items you no longer need which may be helpful to other teachers.
- Children under age 14 are not permitted in the textbook & warehouse area.
- The books must be selected and picked up at the Book Rescue location Glen Ellyn Location on a first come - first served basis. Books cannot be reserved or shipped. SCARCE accepts any types of book donations. For large drop-offs, please call ahead. Get Directions and Contact Information
- The books are free for teachers in public and private schools. There is a Home School Program that allows familes to select books for a minimal membership / donation.
- The SCARCE Book Rescue is funded solely by donations. All donations are appreciated. Donate by Credit Card online, or by check. You can also help support the SCARCE Book Rescue by bringing in your old cell phones or ink jet cartridges (or even better, arrange a collection at your school or other community location).
- SCARCE also operates the Tools for Schools Program, making unwanted school and office supplies available for classroom teachers, and the Super Crayon programs which recycles unwanted crayons into larger Super Crayons for use by younger and handicapped children. There are many additional items collected - see complete list of items collected for reuse or recycling at SCARCE - Help us keep stuff out of the landfill.
- You can get involved! The SCARCE Rescue programs are staffed by volunteers - please join us. If you'd like to learn more, sign up for our newsletters on the top of every page (Ripples for schools/teachers, Green Bulletin for the Community, Book Rescue/Tools for Schools news often advertises items for re-use that are not at the Glen Ellyn location, due to size or transportation problems.) If you live in DuPage County, we offer fun, fast-paced, and enlightening workshops for teachers and students, as well as provide speakers and workshops for community groups.
- It is important that the SCARCE Book Rescue visitors check in and check out. SCARCE needs to know now many books come and and go out when applying for grants.